Portland New Banner Small 3

North Of Portland Bill

Go Button

 

North Arrow

 

Go Button

Back to Home Page

 

Blank Square

Compass_rose

East Arrow

Back to Navigation  Page

 

 

South Arrow

 

67568506LRThe area north of Portland Bill included the Ministry of Defence Magnetic Range where test can be performed well away from stray electric and magnetic fields.

Also in this area is the Pulpit Inn, Dorset's most southerly public house.

Please click here for a detailed map. Click the BACK button on your browser to return to this page.

Please click here to visit the satellite image of this area on Google Maps. Click the BACK button on your browser to return to this page.

Please click here for many historic pictures of Portland Bill’s three lighthouses. Click the BACK button on your browser to return to this page.

In 1907 history was made when a “Marconi Wireless Station” near the Higher Lighthouse mad contact with Gibraltar - please click here for details. Royal Navy aerials were still operational into the 1980s when they were demolished. The circular pattern in the upper left corner of the old aerial photograph at left shows the base of one radio mast. The very faint outlines of the bases of the two masts can be seen on Google Earth by clicking here.

Please use this table to navigate around this page

THE OLD BLACKSMITH’S FORGE

Click Here Button

THE PULPIT INN

Click Here Button

LOBSTER WORLD

Click Here Button

COASTGUARD COTTAGES

Click Here Button

THE OLD BLACKSMITH’S FORGE

67568501LR

The Old Blacksmith's Forge at Portland Bill.

Now used as a fisherman's store, it is described in Eric Ricketts' book (“The Buildings of Old Portland” by Eric Ricketts. Privately Published in 1979 and since reprinted) where the corbie stepped gables are noted as similar to 16th century Scottish and Dutch huts. The blacksmith's main task was to repair and sharpen the quarry workers' tools when stone was being extracted from Portland Bill quarries in Victorian days.

67568502LR

A Portland Stone hand-carved animal trough.

There used to be many of these scattered around the Island but few have survived the destructive attention of vandals. This one was intact and stood by the east wall of the old blacksmith's building (see picture above) until it was smashed in 1989. 

One also lay by the wall of the upper lighthouse until the mid-1990s - that too has now gone.

PULPIT INN

67568503LR

The Pulpit Public House pictured in 1990 before the car-park was partially enclosed with boulders. Dan and Jackie Fox retired in 2014 after 29 years at this pub - see the story here.

A well is marked on the 1903 Ordnance Survey map about 30 metres north-west of the pub. Is there still a well here?

“LOBSTER WORLD”

67568504LR

When plans were submitted to build 'Lobster World' near the coastguard cottages it was strongly opposed by local people. However, it opened in 1986 as a tourist attraction and breeding centre for lobsters to be released into the wild.

Unfortunately, it was not a commercial success and, in 1989, it was converted into a luxury four-bedroom house and put on the market in that year for 180,000.

COASTGUARD COTTAGES

67568508LR

The old coastguard cottages and houses near Portland Bill; one of the most remote settlements in South Dorset.

Return To Top Of Page

Keywords Portland Bill Portland Dorset